The City of Lompoc is considering reinstating its ban on "Safe and Sane" fireworks following last week's Miguelito Fire. Council members will take up the issue at the next scheduled meeting on June 3.
The long-standing ban on fireworks was lifted last year during the lead-up to the Fourth of July holiday.
Council member DeWayne Holmdahl says he voted against allowing fireworks last year, and will vote the same way at the next meeting, should it come up for a vote.
"I could possibly vote for allowing fireworks in Lompoc if we were to get some more rain," Holmdahl said. "There's just too much dry brush in our surrounding hills right now."
Lompoc Mayor John Linn says there's little evidence to show that legal fireworks are a wildfire threat, and blocking their sales comes with additional negatives.
"The sale of Safe and Sane funds the enforcement effort to prevent the illegal fireworks, it also funds almost 50 percent of our city fireworks show," said Mayor John Linn. "Last year's fireworks booths generated over $17,000 that was given to the parks and rec department to subsidize the city firework show at the stadium."
The nearby communities of Santa Maria and Guadalupe are the only other two Santa Barbara County jurisdictions that currently allow similar firework sales.