UPDATE: FBI investigating bomb threat at Atascadero's San Gabriel Elementary

Sep 11, 2015

NEW UPDATE: See updated story here

UPDATE: 5:47 p.m.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is just one of several agencies investigating a bomb threat at  San Gabriel Elementary School in Atascadero. The campus was shut down Friday morning and the surrounding neighborhood evacuated, according to police.

In addition to the FBI, the Atascadero Police Department, County of San Luis Obispo Hazardous Materials Team, San Luis Obispo Sheriff’s Department, California Highway Patrol, California State Parks Department, Atascadero State Hospital Police, San Luis Obispo Probation Department, and the San Luis Obispo District Attorney’s Office responded to assist.

Atascadero Police say threatening letters had been delivered to the school and a "suspicious object" was located on campus near the playground. Multiple agencies swept and secured the campus throughout the day. 

"The incident appears to be isolated to the San Gabriel School campus and no ongoing threat has been identified," Atascadero Police said in a media statement.

Because of the ongoing nature of the investigation, specific details were not immediately being released by the agencies involved.

UPDATE: 11:05 a.m.

"San Gabriel Elementary School had received a bomb threat" Friday morning, according to a Facebook page post by the City of Atascadero.

The statement said the bomb threat information came from Atascadero School District staff who had contacted the city earlier.

The post also stated that students and staff had been "evacuated temporarily to the Santa Rosa School as a precautionary measure" and all were safe. 

Atascadero Police were on scene Friday morning investigating and searching the classrooms.

Original Story:

Prior to the start of school on Friday, students, staff, and community members were not allowed to enter San Gabriel Elementary School, but the Atascadero Unified School District would not immediately give an exact reason why.

Atascadero's San Gabriel Elementary was off limits on Friday morning, Sept. 11, 2015, as "safety precautionary steps" were being taken by the district.
Credit Google Maps

"Safety is the top priority," the district said in a written statement. "In order to maintain the highest level of safety precautionary steps were initiated before the start of school."  

Local Law Enforcement Agencies were on scene Friday morning and the district said employees were working in conjunction with the authorities.

San Gabriel School was not scheduled to resume classes Friday.