Host of the Lowell Thomas Award-winning NPR digital media travel show, Journeys of Discovery with Tom Wilmer, Wilmer has also produced the on-air travel show for KCBX since 1989. Wilmer also served as digital-media travel host for KRML in Carmel, Calif 2015-2017.
The Journeys of Discovery with Tom Wilmer podcast is also featured on the NPR ONE mobile app, iTunes, Stitcher.com, player.fm (UK) a selected "Best Travel Roundup Podcast" and more than 20 other podcast channels around the world. Journeys of Discovery with Tom Wilmer travel show covers a wide array of subjects including agriculture, culture, arts, science, history and cuisine.
In addition to winning the Lowell Thomas Award--Best Radio Travel Show for several years, Wilmer is the recipient of more than a dozen prestigious industry awards for radio and video, including recipient of six Lowell Thomas Awards for best radio broadcast travel shows, and the prestigious Tourism Australia/QANTAS "Henry Lawson Travel Writing Award" for the best North American feature about Australia as a travel destination.
In addition to work as an audio podcast and on-air travel show host and producer, he also serves as Culture Editor at LA based 360 Magazine, and Travel Editor for the prestigious NYC based Civilian Magazine.
Wilmer was Travel Editor for Central Coast Magazine in California from its inception through 2008, and Travel Editor at Las Vegas Magazine (1998 - 2003), he has also been a frequent contributor to numerous upscale lifestyle magazines including Tahoe Quarterly, and Arizona Foothills, and former Home Section columnist for the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, and locally has produced features for New Times, The Tribune and other regional publications.
Author of three books: Romancing the Coast, California Coast Getaways, and Wine Seekers Guide to Livermore Valley. Wilmer has also produced numerous lifestyle magazine features and more than 1,500 newspaper travel feature stories. His Knight Ridder Syndicate travel features have appeared in more than 40 North American newspapers, including the Toronto Star.
His on-location shows have ranged from the Arctic to African safaris, in the wheelhouse of the Rainbow Warrior II, flying in WWII bombers, navigating a micro light above Victoria Falls, sailing around Grenada, hiking through the wilds of Malaysian jungles and exploring remote atolls and isles throughout the South Pacific. His feature, recorded live at Harland & Wolfe Shipyards in Belfast Northern Ireland, celebrating the centenary of the launch of the Titanic was the recipient of a Best Travel award from Outdoor Writers Association of California.
Recent video/audio Awards:
- Recipient of 6 Lowell Thomas Awards bestowed by Society of American Travel Writers Foundation.
- First Place Award for Best Short Video- Pinnacles National Park
- First place award for video documentary about the Morro Bay National Estuary bestowed by LA Independent Film Festival 2017
- Radio & TV judge for Delaware Press Association annual competition.
- Wilmer and his video partner, Simo Nylander produced a video for National Park Service's Alcatraz Cruises, recipient of a Best Video award bestowed by the Outdoor Writers Associationn of California
- In-depth video audio series for the Morro Bay National Marine Estuary Winner, Best Outdoor Video Outdoor Writers of California.
- Award from Outdoor Writers Association of California, along with "Best Short Video" award for Morro Bay Estuary Water Quality feature
- Amgen California bike race television commercial 2016
- First Place "Best Outdoor Radio Feature" Saving Cecil's recorded live on location in Botswana
- Second Place "Best Outdoor Radio Series" for Audubon Rowe Sandhill Cranes, First Federally Funded Wild Mustang Refuge, Heartland Shooting Range Grand Island, Nebraska. Awarded by Outdoor Writers Association of California
- National Press Club, Washington D.C. (www.press.org)
- Board of Directors (SF) Bay Area Travel Writers (www.batw.org)