Tom WilmerHost of Journeys of Discovery
Tom Wilmer is a correspondent for the KCBX program and podcast Issues & Ideas and host of the Lowell Thomas Award-winning travel show podcast, Journeys of Discovery with Tom Wilmer
Journeys of Discovery can be found on Issues & Ideas, the NPRONE mobile app, iTunes, Stitcher.com, player.fm (UK) a selected "Best Travel Roundup Podcast," and more than 20 other podcast channels around the world.
Wilmer's shows cover an array of subjects including agriculture, culture, arts, science, history, wine & spirits, and cuisine.
In addition to winning the 2020, 2019, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2013 Lowell Thomas Award (society of American Travel Writers—“Best Radio Travel Show,” Wilmer is the recipient of more than a dozen prestigious industry awards for radio, print and video, including the prestigious Tourism Australia/QANTAS "Henry Lawson Travel Writing Award" for the best North American feature about Australia as a travel destination, and more than 10 awards from the Outdoor Writers Association of California.
- Culture Editor 360 Magazine (Los Angeles) 2016-presen
- Travel Editor Civilian Magazine (NYC) July 2019-present
- On-air contributor at NPR Affiliate KCBX serving California’s Central Coast September 1989-present
- NPR.ORG Digital Media Podcast Host produced by NPR affiliate KCBX January 2012-present
Wilmer has produced on-air travel shows for KCBX since 1989, and served as digital-media travel host for KRML in Carmel, California from January 2013 through December 2015.
Wilmer was Travel Editor for Central Coast Magazine in California from its inception through 2008, and Travel Editor at Las Vegas Magazine (1998-2003). He has also been a frequent contributor to numerous upscale lifestyle magazines including Tahoe Quarterly, and Arizona Foothills, 805 Living, The Tasting Panel, and former Home Section columnist for the Santa Rosa Press Democrat. Locally he has produced features for New Times, San Luis Obispo Tribune and other regional publications.
Author of three books: Romancing the Coast; California Coast Getaways; and The Wine Seeker’s Guide to Livermore Valley. Wilmer has also produced numerous lifestyle magazine features and more than 1,500 newspaper travel feature stories. His Knight Ridder Syndicate travel features have appeared in more than 40 North American newspapers, including the Toronto Star.
On-location radio shows have ranged from the Arctic to African safaris, in the wheelhouse of the Rainbow Warrior II, flying in WWII bombers, navigating a micro light above Victoria Falls, sailing around Grenada, hiking through the wilds of Malaysian jungles and exploring remote atolls and isles throughout the South Pacific. His feature, recorded live at Harland & Wolfe Shipyards in Belfast Northern Ireland, celebrating the centenary of the launch of the Titanic was the recipient of a Best Travel award from Outdoor Writers Association of California.
Recent video/audio Awards:
- First Place Award San Luis Obispo International Film Festival: From Morros to Marshes 2017
- First Place Award Bay Area Travel Writers for Best Short Video: Pinnacles National Park 2015.
- Wilmer and his video partner, Simo Nylander produced a video for National Park Service Alcatraz Cruises, Winner of 2016 Outdoor Writers Association: California Best Video 2016
- In-depth video/audio series for the Morro Bay National Marine Estuary: 2015 "Best Outdoor Video" Award from Outdoor Writers Association of California, along with "Best Short Video" award for Morro Bay Estuary Water Quality feature
- Amgen California bike race commercial Outdoor Writers Association of California 2016
- First Place "Best Outdoor Radio Feature" Outdoor Writers Association of California: Saving Cecil's recorded live on location in Botswana 2017
- Second Place "Best Outdoor Radio Series" Outdoor Writers Association of California: Audubon Rowe Sandhill Cranes, First Federally Funded Wild Mustang Refuge, Heartland Shooting Range Grand Island, Nebraska 2017
National Press Club, Washington D.C. (www.press.org)
San Francisco Bay Area Travel Writers--board of directors & membership chair (www.batw.org)
NPR.ORG Digital Media Podcast Directory page:
KCBX Program Page: http://kcbx.org/programs/journeys-discovery-tom-wilmer
360 Magazine (LA) Culture Editor: https://the360mag.com/tag/tom-wilmer-360-magazine-culture-editor/
Civilian Magazine (NYC) Travel Editor: https://civilianmag.com/
Correspondent Tom Wilmer recalls meeting a RUC policeman in Northern Ireland in 1998, his friendship, and how he unwittingly put the sergeant and his family at mortal risk.
Correspondent Tom Wilmer visits with Lance Eaker in Fredericksburg, Texas at Eaker Barbeque.
Seán Duffy at Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. Duffy shares highlights of 1,500 years of Irish History condensed to 45 minutes
Evelyn Washburne visits with correspondent Tom Wilmer at her wine bar, La Bergerie in Fredericksburg, Texas.
Alison Metcalfe, Tourism Ireland Executive Vice President, North America & Australia met with correspondent Tom Wilmer to share unique destinations round the Emerald Isle.
Case Fischer with Fischer & Weiser Specialty Foods in Fredericksburg, Texas talks with correspondent Tom Wilmer
Jessica Mittel, founder of Gästehaus Schmidt in Fredericksburg, Texas talks with correspondent Tom Wilmer about the historic German guesthouse experience.
Join David Shields, Museum Director at the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, TX for a conversation with correspondent Tom Wilmer.
General Micheal Hagee, retired 33rd Marine Corps Commandant talks about the Admiral Nimitz Museum and Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, Texas.
An exploration of the legendary Cabernet Grill and Cotton Gin Village in Fredericksburg, Texas.