Tom WilmerHost of Journeys of Discovery
Journeys of Discovery can be found on Issues & Ideas, the NPRONE mobile app, iTunes, Stitcher.com, player.fm (UK) a selected "Best Travel Roundup Podcast," and more than 20 other podcast channels around the world.
Wilmer's shows cover an array of subjects including agriculture, culture, arts, science, history, wine & spirits, and cuisine.
In addition to winning the 2020, 2019, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2013 Lowell Thomas Award (society of American Travel Writers—“Best Radio Travel Show,” Wilmer is the recipient of more than a dozen prestigious industry awards for radio, print and video, including the prestigious Tourism Australia/QANTAS "Henry Lawson Travel Writing Award" for the best North American feature about Australia as a travel destination, and more than 10 awards from the Outdoor Writers Association of California.
- Culture Editor 360 Magazine (Los Angeles) 2016-presen
- Travel Editor Civilian Magazine (NYC) July 2019-present
- On-air contributor at NPR Affiliate KCBX serving California’s Central Coast September 1989-present
- NPR.ORG Digital Media Podcast Host produced by NPR affiliate KCBX January 2012-present
Wilmer has produced on-air travel shows for KCBX since 1989, and served as digital-media travel host for KRML in Carmel, California from January 2013 through December 2015.
Wilmer was Travel Editor for Central Coast Magazine in California from its inception through 2008, and Travel Editor at Las Vegas Magazine (1998-2003). He has also been a frequent contributor to numerous upscale lifestyle magazines including Tahoe Quarterly, and Arizona Foothills, 805 Living, The Tasting Panel, and former Home Section columnist for the Santa Rosa Press Democrat. Locally he has produced features for New Times, San Luis Obispo Tribune and other regional publications.
Author of three books: Romancing the Coast; California Coast Getaways; and The Wine Seeker’s Guide to Livermore Valley. Wilmer has also produced numerous lifestyle magazine features and more than 1,500 newspaper travel feature stories. His Knight Ridder Syndicate travel features have appeared in more than 40 North American newspapers, including the Toronto Star.
On-location radio shows have ranged from the Arctic to African safaris, in the wheelhouse of the Rainbow Warrior II, flying in WWII bombers, navigating a micro light above Victoria Falls, sailing around Grenada, hiking through the wilds of Malaysian jungles and exploring remote atolls and isles throughout the South Pacific. His feature, recorded live at Harland & Wolfe Shipyards in Belfast Northern Ireland, celebrating the centenary of the launch of the Titanic was the recipient of a Best Travel award from Outdoor Writers Association of California.
Recent video/audio Awards:
- First Place Award San Luis Obispo International Film Festival: From Morros to Marshes 2017
- First Place Award Bay Area Travel Writers for Best Short Video: Pinnacles National Park 2015.
- Wilmer and his video partner, Simo Nylander produced a video for National Park Service Alcatraz Cruises, Winner of 2016 Outdoor Writers Association: California Best Video 2016
- In-depth video/audio series for the Morro Bay National Marine Estuary: 2015 "Best Outdoor Video" Award from Outdoor Writers Association of California, along with "Best Short Video" award for Morro Bay Estuary Water Quality feature
- Amgen California bike race commercial Outdoor Writers Association of California 2016
- First Place "Best Outdoor Radio Feature" Outdoor Writers Association of California: Saving Cecil's recorded live on location in Botswana 2017
- Second Place "Best Outdoor Radio Series" Outdoor Writers Association of California: Audubon Rowe Sandhill Cranes, First Federally Funded Wild Mustang Refuge, Heartland Shooting Range Grand Island, Nebraska 2017
National Press Club, Washington D.C. (www.press.org)
San Francisco Bay Area Travel Writers--board of directors & membership chair (www.batw.org)
NPR.ORG Digital Media Podcast Directory page:
KCBX Program Page: http://kcbx.org/programs/journeys-discovery-tom-wilmer
360 Magazine (LA) Culture Editor: https://the360mag.com/tag/tom-wilmer-360-magazine-culture-editor/
Civilian Magazine (NYC) Travel Editor: https://civilianmag.com/
San Luis Obispo resident David Blakely shares tales of his father’s exploits as a WWII B-17 pilot—featured in the Apple TV series Masters of the Air.
Bob Kendricks, President of Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City Missouri shares powerful stories of the era of segregated baseball
Historian Erik Brun shares fascinating insights about U.S. Army joint field maneuvers in Atascadero that included the legendary U.S. Army’s 9th Cavalry, known as Buffalo Soldiers.
Experiencing Milwaukee, Wisconsin's Harley Davidson Museum with curatorial Director, Jim Fricke.
Mary Durusau shares insights about Louisiana’s old state capital in Baton Rouge and a visit aboard WWII destroyer USS Kidd permanently berthed on the Mississippi
Author Joan Gelfand shares cool tales from her book, Outside Voices--a moment in time in Berkeley back in the 1970s
Georgia Durante talks about her journey from mob wife to Hollywood stunt driver
Join Joyce Beliveau for a visit with correspondent Tom Wilmer at her farm/winery in the New River Valley not too far from Blacksburg, Virginia.
Katya Cengel recalls her hospitalization in a psychosomatic unit as a 10 year-old.
Susan Sink shares her fascinating family story that started with a dairy in 1980 that was eventually reimagined as Virginia's most popular Pumpkin farm.